Step 1 - Coffin Lid
The lid is made from 4 fence boards, secured with 1 inch x 2 inch timber.
1. First, lay 4 boards side by side.
2. Cut 2 lengths of 1 inch x 2 inch timber, 22 inches long.
3. Place one length under the four boards, 10 inches from the top edge.
4. Screw the boards to this, 2 screws per board using 1.5 inch countersunk wood screws.
5. Position the second length under the four boards, 20 inches from the first length. Again, screw the boards to the strip repeating step 4.
6. Measure and cut 39 inches from the top edge. The short lengths of boards will be used for the top of the coffin, so set these aside
7. Next, turn over the assembled panel and mark the edges of the boards at the following points: Top edge - 4.5 inches either side, Left edge - 15 inches from top edge Right edge - 15 inches from top edge then 5 inches in and 4 inches up from bottom edge Bottom edge – 7 inches from left hand side
8. Draw lines as follows Left edge - 4.5 inch mark on top left to 15 inch left hand side mark, then 15 inch left hand mark to 7 inch mark at bottom Right edge – 4.5 inch mark on top right to 15 inch right hand side mark, then 15 inch right hand mark to mark 5 inches in and 4 inches up from bottom Bottom edge – 7 inch mark to the mark 4 inches up and 5 inches in from right side.
9. Cut out the coffin lid shape along the lines drawn
This completes the coffin lid assembly
|Back to Tutorials||Home Page||